‹ Back to Posts

DAY 1, by Anthony Citrinite

Sep 19, 2019

The day is Sept 12th, 1994 (25 years ago today)… I walk to the school through Union Square, arrive at the door, pull and find that it’s still locked. It is my first day of classes at the Drummers Collective! I waited all summer for this day to come. I walk to the corner and get myself a donut and a coffee from the cart, then walk back to the door to wait for someone to unlock it and let me in. Finally, someone came to unlock the door… it was John Castellano, the Director of the School. He welcomed me in and we took the elevator up to the 4th floor. As he turned the lights on and opened the office door, I put my bag down, grabbed a pad and started my morning warm up.

A Welcome meeting for the new students like myself, was the first thing on my schedule. During the Welcome meeting each student took turns standing up and introducing themselves. As the introductions continued, I started realizing that I was 1 of 4 Americans out of the 21 students ready to begin the 10 Week Certificate Program. I couldn’t wait to get to know each and every one of them and learn more about where they came from. I felt a really great energy from everyone that day. We all had the common bond of playing the drums and wanting to be the best we could be and we were all embarking on a journey where we would be able to learn from the professionals and immerse ourselves in our true passion. I felt like the luckiest person I knew and couldn’t wait for my first class – Rock Listening Analysis with Sandy Gennaro.

To be continued…

Anthony Citrinite has the unique experience of being a student, intern, employee, director and owner of The Collective School of Music. In a series of blog posts, Anthony will share his memories of his 25 years involvement in all things Collective in NYC!