Known for his musicality and command of a wide range of styles, Peter Retzlaff has played with Kenny Werner, Greg Osby, Diane Schuur, Ray Vega, the BMI Big Band, and Maynard Ferguson.
As an educator, Peter has been an integral member of the Drummers Collective since 1995, and maintains an active teaching schedule at The Collective 5 days a week. Peter received a B.A. in Jazz and Commercial Music and a B.A. in Business Administration from Capital University. He also received a M.M. in Jazz Studies from the Manhattan School of Music. Peter is a clinician for Zildjian, Remo and Vic Firth.
Peter teaches a variety of drumming styles and topics.
- Technique (Including Moeller System)
- Reading (from beginning to advanced levels)
- Chart Reading and Interpretation
- Jazz (Early Jazz, Big Band, Bebop, and Contemporary)
- Second Line Drumming
- R&B/Funk (Traditional/Contemporary)
- Brushes (Jazz and Pop styles)
- Odd Times (Jazz/Rock/Funk Styles)
- Rock (Traditional, Progressive Styles)
- Fundamentals of Afro-Cuban Drumming
- Fundamentals of Brazilian Drumming
- Fills/Soloing (Rock, Funk/R&B, Jazz Styles)
- Song Repertoire (Rock, Funk/R&B, Brazilian, Reggae Styles)
Certificate Program A – US Roots (Jazz), Jazz 40’s & 50’s
Elective Intensive – Jazz Funk
Peter is available for Private lessons.
Please call (212) 741-0091 extension: 104 for availability.